Documentary films


I watched a lot of documentary films this week because of assignment on it.

There is one movie that I liked and I would like to share it with you all.




Do you know about Rembrandt? He is a famous painter from Netherlands.

I think maybe you've seen his painting in textbooks.
This is the painting, ”Night”.  It is called "夜警" in Japan.



This movie is documentary about people who love Rembrandt's work.
Four episodes related to Rembrandt are described, but the story is mainly about two incidents.

One incident is the discovery of a painting work that may have been painted by Rembarandt.
Some exparts said that "This painting is definitely not Rembrandt's work", other exparts said that "This painting is definitely Rembrandt's work". 
Rembrandt's work was last discovered over 40 years ago, and if it is indeed his work, it is a very big accomplishment!

The second incident involved a French nobleman auctiong off two Rembrandt work.
It is a valuable works that are rarely offered for sale.
So, the two paintings are worth 20 bilion Japanese yen.
Then, the Louvre and the Amsterdam Museum of Art move in to buy those works.
The struggle over the paintings eventually developed into an international issue!

The film depicts with irony and humor the contradictions in art, where a single painting costs several hundred million yen.
Through this film, I was made to wonder who determines the value of a work of art and to whom a work of art belongs.


If you have a documentary you would like to recommend, let me know!










 

コメント

  1. I didn't know Rembrandt. I want to watch the movie!

    返信削除
  2. I've seen the painting, ”Night”. I was interested in this painting because it had a mysterious worldview.

    返信削除

コメントを投稿

このブログの人気の投稿

Hello from me

My favorite painting

[Unit Project 1] Story of My Treature